FASHION. BEAUTY. LIFESTYLE. an indecisive girl's life

Thursday 21 December 2017

Day 21 Blogmas 2k17


I'm very late at posting this post but it's here finally, but hey ho (hohoho) the best things in life are worth waiting for.
LESSON TWENTYONE OF CHRISTMAS 2K17:
Window displays take a lot more work than you'd think. 

COW X FCP collaboration. 

A few weeks back on my course we had the exciting chance within a team to come up with a window display for Cow, a vintage shop, for them to display in February 2018. Visual merchandising has never been something I thought would be for me and it turns out I was right it isn't but that doesn't mean this opportunity wasn't valuable to me.



Each team was given the chance to choose from a list of locations & objects, which they'd have to combine together in some way to create a window display. We had shoes and cocktails for two. Now we didn't have to combine them literally, the combination could be completely outside of the box so to speak. Initially we had the idea to design a life sized shoe box which would have a cocktail bar within it. In hindsight though this was perhaps a bit too literal, it was too within the box, for crying out loud it was literally inside a life sized shoebox. But that's the purpose of trying things and making mistakes because we got the chance to learn from them!



In the end we went with just the idea of a cocktail bar on Valentines Day, the shoe element came from having shoes dotted around the display and the fact everything was tied up with shoe laces. We expanded the shoe element further by suggesting people could interact with the display by sharing their shoe selfies on Valentines day, #Cow-uplegoals.



To take this further we linked the names of shoes within the HUGE cocktail menu we had in the display, we had a 'Blood Mary Jane', a 'Shoe-icide shot' and even a 'Convers-apolitan', Cow do love their puns after all. It was fun to come up with all these names and it definately made me want a drink at the end of two very long, hectic days. I honestly never realised how hard it was to work in a group of 10 people. Giving everyone the chance to voice their opinions was a bit of a stressful one but we got through it and actually pulled together really well in the end.



Would I want to do this again?
No probably not, I did enjoy it and it was nice to have a break from our daily projects but it was very stressful and I have never realised how much work goes into creating window displays. I've never really given it a second thought if I'm honest. One thing is for sure though I will never walk past a window display and not appreciate the effort gone into it ever again. I guess was a good thing for me to learn now that visual merchandising isn't for me, I wouldn't want to go down that route then completely hate it with no way back. It was a learning curve that's one thing for sure.



Nevertheless I loved this opportunity and a huge thank you to Cow for giving us the chance to collaborate in such an exciting way. I was proud with what we produced. The final presentations were amazing to watch, everyone came up with such fab ideas. 'Galentines day' was certainly a worthy winner!
In this festive season take the chance to look around you at the beautiful and carefully put together windows- believe me a lot of thought & hard work has gone into them and nothings worse than something you worked hard on not being appreciated. Enjoy them! 

Take care & see you all tomorrow.

Festive Kisses

X

Images: All my own.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig